Monday, November 23, 2009

THE SPIDER PLANT WILL SOON RETURN TO THE SUNNY WINDOW

It’s time to put everything back in order. I’ll soon find out what that loud crash was that I heard the same time as Ranch Mum arrived to take Misty back home. I have Misty in my arms so he won’t escape and run down the hall. I hand him to Ranch Mum and they are happy to see each other. I ask Ranch Mum if she has time for a cup of tea and can stay a little longer. She agrees and Misty goes back to play, testing which piece of furniture would be nice to scratch at to sharpen his claws. We’ll just stay at the kitchen table because I haven’t had time to vacuum the carpet where the spider plant sits at the short end of my L-shaped sewing table. “Tell me about your birthplace in Holland and your impressions when coming to Canada when you were only 18 years old. Your English is flawless without any accent,” I say.

Her voice is clear and almost musical. She quietly admonishes Misty for scratching at the carpet by the door in that pleasant voice and shows him the scratching post that Ms S had given him. He goes off to his food bowl and enjoys the dry kitty food that is always there for him whenever a hunger pang comes on. Ranch Mom says stray kittens are sometimes left near homes sympathetic to pets when their owners move elsewhere. She advertises kittens and helps finds good homes for them. Ms S, who brought all the gifts for Misty does the same thing for strays. She told me yesterday she will pick the gifts up later and add them to the Gift Box she prepares each Christmas for the SPCA. Ranch Mom has all the things Misty needs back at the Ranch. Too soon it’s time for them to leave. She assures me that I am very welcome to visit Misty any time I have an opportunity. They leave with pleasant goodbyes. I am puzzled when I bring my vacuum to over to the sewing table to clear up the floor by the sewing table. One of the three plants near the table is missing. The search is on. More tomorrow.

No comments: