Thursday, November 26, 2009

THE MEMORY BOX

The Condo development I live in has 65 units and owners are expected to be over the age of 50 years. Except for taxes paid to the city on July first and strata fees at $250.00 per month that can be paid electronically, there is nothing to keep us from flying south and spending several months in the sunshine. One of us who stay here is glad to take the take the mail in for the happy wanderers. My husband and I lived in the U.S. for 15 years, mainly in California and Hawaii. Since he passed away with Parkinsons in 2003 the thought of traveling alone is not appealing to me and I prefer to remain home, volunteer and do research in food science. We visited places like the Smithsonian Science Center in Washington, D.C., the space center and other areas of interest when we lived the U.S.

While living in California we often had parents and other relatives drive south and spend some of the winter months with us. We would take them to the tourist spots on weekends and while we were at work during the day they explored areas close by. One weekend when one of my brothers and his family were staying with us we all went to an area where many movie films were shot. The place was full of tourists, curvy roads and fast cars. My sister-in-law was ahead of the rest of us with their small daughter and their son was walking with Dad. He saw his mother further along and suddenly bolted toward her, no doubt thinking one is always safer with Mom. I was still on the other side of the walk and heard her yell. From her point of view she could see what was about to happen. A speeding car had come swinging on two wheels and in a split second I was able to snatch my young nephew by the arm and pull him to safety. All grown up now, he is now serving as a cabinet minister. Memories like this are indelible in memory. We do keep our guardian angels very busy at times.

No comments: