Sunday, November 29, 2009

HIKING IN HAWAII - PAGE 2

Skeeter’s Mom was a busy lady who returned from work a little later than me. I often saw her pass our window as we waved a greeting to each other. If I had news I added a nod to the wave indicating we would see each other later. She always carried a Deli Food package containing their dinner. Later I tapped on her door and commented about the short hiking trip our children had that day. “Oh yes,” she said, as she recounted the story of their adventure. She had finished reading her mail, placed it in a box and took the last bite from the container that was marked Chicken Livers. “I eat a container of chicken livers every day,” she said. “It gives extra energy for my work in the evening. Your boy told Skeeter he didn’t want to worry his parents so wouldn’t bother giving them the scary details about their hiking adventure.”

My grandson once asked me if I knew more about a future family event being planned. “You know how your Dad is, a man of few words.” I commented. He laughed and replied, “You can say that again.” Maybe that’s why our son found a pleasant chatty wife to fill in other necessary details.

A wise proverb tells us that everything that happens has a lesson to teach us. Today’s lesson tells me to follow up each experience with action. This brings to mind the old adage, “Actions speak louder than words.” On Friday this week a CBC radio program interviewed someone on that subject. I’m sending a prayer of thanks and blessings to that wonderful man, and to Skeeter who both worked together to save our son’s life on that warm sunny day in Hawaii. The birth of each invention begins with a thought that requires work to bring it into action. One of those hikers is known to be an excellent organizer. Perhaps both of them learned this lesson well. It is possible that Skeeter and his Mom may still be living there in Hawaii, they are about our age.

No comments: