Monday, November 16, 2009

A CLOUDY SUNDAY

Day 2 at my new home and I don’t miss the Farm/Ranch quite so much as I did yesterday. It must be a ranch also because there are so many animals around there. Mum-mum had a nice bed ready for me last night with a picture of bears climbing Australian trees. It had been a gift from her son and his wife when they came to Vernon for a visit last summer. It has a zippered cushion filled with puffed grains. At the time they thought it would be soft for Mum-mum’s knees while writing. But I thought it was more fun skipping around under her bed skirt. When she awoke in the morning I had tucked myself under the quilt by her right ear and started purring.

After working on the computer and posting her Blog we went to the kitchen where Mum-mum started fixing breakfast while I munched on some dried food in one of my new food dishes. But I wanted meat and watched her take too much time rushing from frig to stove to sink and washing her hands every few minutes. I just want some raw or cooked meat. She rolls around with her draftsman chair to avoid stepping on me. She tries to make herself look fat so I won’t take chances, attempt to jump beside her and fall on the floor. But it’s not working. I consider every jump carefully. My ancestors in Siam jumped over rocky areas for centuries and it’s in my genes. I sure miss my Ranch family sometimes and all that jostling around on the porch with my mother and family and all of us reaching for the best piece of a mouse she had hunted down for us. I haven’t seen a mouse around here anywhere. Mum-mum doesn’t know how to catch mice anyway. Her son in St. George says she should hire a housekeeper to save time to do more fun things and not want to work a job again because she worked hard all day at Carnation Research while we lived California and sometimes typed papers for college students in the evenings. He adds, “I know about the stock market falling and the expired GICs that drop down to .06 per cent or less, but “I will stand behind you with help when you need it.”

No comments: