Friday, November 13, 2009

CAST THY BREAD UPON THE WATERS

“Cast thy bread upon the waters: for it shall return to thee after many days.” This is one of the Biblical translations from Ecclestiastes 11:1. Sometimes when it is least expected this can happen, days or even years later.

Six years ago my husband passed away with Parkinsons after a 10 year health challenge. His work had required the use of harmful substances which are no longer permitted to be in use. I keep very busy posting a blog most days, mainly about recent science and health-building discoveries. The first year I posted every day. The research sometimes takes a great deal of time. The day slips by - with no one to watch TV or be with me. I complete folding the laundry and vacuuming and decide to call my younger sister in Kamloops. She and her husband catch me up on their news. My older sister has been moved from Rehab to a care home and as her advocate my brother-in-law completes his part of the duty. What’s new with you, they ask. “I am getting a room mate,” I say. There is silence. I can almost hear their thoughts, ‘She must have got blown away in the stock market like some of the rest of us.’ My sister asks, “Male or female? I explain that part presented a problem. I hadn’t thought to ask that question at the time. I am ready to say, “Oh well I can always have him neutered,” My brother-in-law with his usual wit asks, “Does he have four legs?” Yes, I am getting a kitty. Sometimes when people move they may not be able to take their cat along and drop it off at what they know is a friendly place. They feed her and she sleeps on their porch. A new litter of kittens may be born. Good homes must be found for them soon. After reaching 8 weeks, the kittens can be chased by other animals and refuse to be caught even by people trying to help them. Mother cat goes hunting to feed them. Every Thomas Cat in the area denies responsibility. The hunter becomes the hunted and is not seen again. Read the sequel about my new room mate arriving on Saturday.

No comments: