Wednesday, February 17, 2010

THE GAME

“Auntie, we have a class to attend this weekend, will you stay here with our children?” I am always glad to watch over your well behaved children I tell them. The next weekend I am busy with my new charges when my husband calls from home and says surprise visitors have arrived at our place, Uncle Fred and Aunt Gerty. There is plenty of room for them I tell him, but bring them for an afternoon visit and they’ll be able to enjoy the visit and together keep us well entertained.

We are having tea together which includes my usual dried fruit squares and triangles. I no longer punch them out into small circular pieces to be sure they don’t get stuck in the throat on the way down. But Ms. K has found one in the bowl and I see it going in her mouth. What is the best way to get it back before it causes problems, I ask myself. Be casual and ask to see it I tell myself. I think children tune into our hearts before the information is sent to the brain. “Make it a game,” Uncle Fred says. His usually very persuasive ways are not working. Ms. K knows she has center stage and is not giving it up easily. Her next in line (and very responsible brother) clearly senses our concern. I am thinking to change the scene, maybe go for a ride and stick around near the emergency hospital. Aunt Gerty is silent and abiding her firm yet sweet angelic way. Then she agrees and chairs begin to be pushed back to show a sense of movement. Ms K realizes a change is in the works and the game is over. She turns to her brother and gives him a smile and a gentle poke on his bare tummy. She releases the round fruit candy that is beginning to melt. I instantly place it in the trash and check the dried fruit candy bag very carefully. Uncle Fred laughs heartily and says, “That girl knows what life is about and how to handle it.” That evening things become quiet and I check each child. Brother L is not in his bed. I search every room and glance outside and up the wide cement drive. I begin to empty every closest. Behind some boxes, there he is, sound asleep. It was a big day. His Mom told me later that when he needs some privacy he has been known to find a quiet place to hide and falls asleep.

No comments: