Thursday, September 24, 2009

MORE ON "A PET'S GIFT" - THE SEQUEL

Reclining on the couch, Nancy Edwards further reflected on the 16 years with Gus as part of the family. She thought of the tricks he did. When stroked from head to tail, he would tuck his head down and roll forward, performing summersaults! Touching one of his legs, and saying “Give me a paw,” he would stick his foot out for me to hold. When not attentive enough to his plea to go outside, he would gently nip my ankle. When I laughed at these antics, he would go to a corner, and face the wall until I stopped. When the ducks or geese were nesting, Gus would be chased each time he went outside. It was a well-intentioned warning chase, but one time he was really in trouble. I heard him yowl in fright and ran outside to see an angry male goose chasing him around the yard, hissing and snapping at him. I took off chasing the goose, as the goose chased Gus and around the threesome went, until I could catch Gus and bring him safely inside. He was very grateful and gave me a wet slurp on the cheek.

The only way I could come to understand the ducks and geese coming forward to share my sorrow was to express themselves the only way they knew how, all part of God’s plan to show gratitude. They may have recalled our friendship and felt thankful for the protection they felt when nesting in our back yard.

Finally falling asleep, I dreamed that Gus jumped up on me as I slept and felt his heart beating against mine, and heard his low contented purr. In the dreamscape he suddenly stirred, and jumped enthusiastically into the arms of a large man in a brown robe standing by the sofa. He was so happy, he never looked back. Though sad when I awoke I was happy that he was with someone who loved him as I did. Perhaps it was St. Francis so I placed a small statue of St. Francis over Gus's grave in a memory garden amidst the flowers.
More at 800-333-4499 and on-line studies at Atlantic University at 800-428-1512

No comments: