Friday, September 12, 2008

GRANDKID'S GAZETTE SEPTEMBER

Grandpa and Grandma Davis spent three months this summer renting at the Silver Star Ski Resort that is quiet until the ski season arrives. We visited them at their mountain top chalet. In July relatives from Salmon Arm, Kamloops, and others too-far-away to come on a weekday, arrived to help celebrate GiGi's 85th birthday. GiGi jokes that she doesn't feel that old and is going to demand a recount. On Sunday, August 17th, cousins Danika and Brian Nelles from Burnaby arranged a well attended picnic at Sunnybrae for all relatives. Each one brought a picnic lunch and we shared together, and caught up on family news including two babies under one years old.

The thirty mile round trip to Silver Star is an hour's drive for grocery shopping, attending Sunday's Grace Bible Church, interspersed with baby sitting privileges for the grandchildren including a trip to the water slide. The following poem could cover types of questions grandchildren ask.

Christmas time soon comes again, Tell me Grandma please,
Is there a tree for Christmas Day, With gifts for you and me?
Mommie's busy building food, So I have come to you,
Today at pre-school someone said, "Yes, it might be true."
Classmates tell me there are bugs, Eating up our trees,
Tiny ones that grind them up, How can this bad thing be?
I know you always tell the truth, So I have come to you.
Will those bugs eat some other plants, I'm worried if they do.

Tiny, like a grain of rice, And they can fly around . . and. . .
"Ask Grandpa, he has lots of books, Where answers can be found."
But Grandma, now I need to know, 'Cause I want to grow some peas,
They taste so good and GiGi says, They're good for you and me.
Cucumbers - I just love them, Light green and juicy too,
Will bees be here to help the flowers, 'Cause that's the job they do.
Grandpa and Daddy will soon come, They're full of science brains,
They love to talk about such things, And later will explain.

Jump on my lap and I will tell you, Stories of years ago,
About the garden GiGi had, With care, these plants will grow.
All the vegetables you love, And fruits that hang from trees,
These gifts that God has offered us, With work from you and me.

No comments: