Wednesday, July 9, 2008

THE OWL

While listening to a story of the bravery of a friend rescuing a buddy, I wondered if there might be other stories out there that should be told. It need not be dramatic, perhaps something as simple as calling 911 or lending a helping hand to someone in urgent need. Use the "comment spot" by the little pencil at the end of each Blog for a contact.
Here is the story of someone who helped a small owl chick who was jolted awake one morning from his cozy feather bed to the grind of a steel blade scraping at him. The CBC interviewed a teacher who told how sudents could learn any foreign language much faster by reading rhyme poetry - after memorizing a few basic words in the new language.
Grinding blades sliced through the soil and flung the chick away,
I took him home and searched for food to satisfy that day.
I found just what he needed, where sparrows took a fall
From their overcrowded nests - with mice he relished all.
His tummy sorted out the food, with quiet manners meek,
Bones he wrapped in furry balls, and popped them from his beak.
His look at me so wisely said, "Please teach me to fly."
He gazed into the vast blue sky - Departure time was nigh.
I placed him on a fencing post, then gave a little push,
He flapped his wings, gliding fell - dodging 'round a bush.
He waltzed in in circles, flapped his wings, I saw great eager eyes.
The time had come for he had felt, The freedom of the skies.
A higher post I placed and soon, this eager being flew,
No longer Earthbound, soaring high, and then it was I knew,
He'd thought of me as parent and, no longer needed me,
Into the open sky he soared - jubilant and free.
Months later swooped into my yard, with jaunty tip of wing,
"I love the sky, come up and try, and rule it like a king."
I knew I was an Earthbound soul, and waved a sad goodbye,
He soared once more and soon was just - a speck high in the sky.
Weeks later two sky specks grew large, Surprise, he brought his mate.
They tipped a wing, flew off to hunt, For nature's wedding cake.
Sometimes at night I dream of them, with tiny fluffy chicks,
Busy in their cozy nest, collecting food for six.
Like them, we may find changes hard - the heart knows what is best,
Like Ole, time will come to fly, continuing life's quest.
Suzie-Q

No comments: