Wednesday, October 21, 2009

PARDON ME - A MOMENT OF PRIVACY PLEASE

I’m just clearing my throat, it’s all exaggerated, I’m only pitching out a hair ball and he thinks I must have asthma and calls his veterinarian. I like the vet and am accustomed to his routine which is quite thorough. He’ll ask if I have been able to lose a little weight and I have. He’ll explain that asthma is somewhat common in cats, spasmodic breathing signaling inflammation in the airways of the lungs. I’ll have to get an X-ray of the chest to be sure.

Doug Knueven, DVM, has given us the basic remedies before, “Asthma is exacerbated by pro-inflammatory processes in the body. A balanced, raw-food diet has an anti-inflammatory effect on the body. Adding fish oil to the diet quiets the inflammation. Feline-specific probiotics added to the food has a balancing effect on the immune system and can be helpful. Vaccines promote inflammation, so they should be kept to a minimum. Cigarette smoke, dusty kitty litter and other airborne particles and chemical fumes can trigger asthma attacks and must be avoided. Getting an air filter may help.”

Then he goes on to remind us I should be given 50-100 milligrams of vitamin C (ester-C is preferred) and 50-100 international units of vitamin E. These anti-oxidant vitamins help my body resist environmental toxins that can exacerbate asthma. He says there are acupressure points on either side of the spine between the shoulder blades that affect the lungs and massaging these points during an attack can lessen the severity.

Doug Knueven, DVM, is the author of “Stand by Me, a Holistic Handbook for animals, People, and the lives they Share, and “Holistic Health guide: Natural Care for the whole Dog.” Find more information at: www.BeaverAnimalClinic.com.

No comments: