Sunday, August 30, 2009

THE SPRAINED ANKLE

On her CBC Saturday afternoon radio program “The Next Chapter,” Shelagh Rogers interviewed the author of the book “Hold Me Tight.” This writer/instructor tells us the main reason for marriage is not necessarily to bear children but to have someone close who will be there for each other in a caring fashion. Later a repeat science program from Bob McDonald’s Quirks & Quarks reminded us that after scientific tests that in stressful situations mind is a powerful force in the healing process.

When pulling my grocery cart up a steep hill one of the wheels stuck in the sidewalk curb jerking my ankle. I rested it according to instructions in the B.C. Heath Guide and recalled the Quirks & Quarks program that advised positive thoughts. A good friend told me that if I was in need, day or night she would be there for me if I required emergency help and I repeated the same for her. With these cheerful thoughts I read more from my B.C. Health Guide. Page 104-5, suggests “Remember the key word, RICE: which stands for Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation. Crutches are needed for an injured joint for at least 24 to 48 hours. Injured muscle, ligaments or tendon tissue may need 2 to 4 months to recover. I wish for my caring husband of 54 years, but he has passed on. Trying to use his cane only makes the injury angry and painful. I reach for Dr. Harold J. Reilly’s book who was founder-director of Reilly Health Institute in Rockefeller Center that had been frequented by celebrities such as the Duchess of Windsor and Vice-President Nelson Rockefeller. “The Edgar Cayce Handbook for Health,” advising to consult your physician before trying any of the remedies and exercises. As it instructed, I soaked several thicknesses of muslin in apple vinegar, added salt and wrapped it around my ankle securing a plastic bag over it with a tape. I moved with care and in the morning the pain was gone. More information is available by calling 1-800-333-4499 in U.S. or in Canada at 1-866-322-8209.

No comments: