Thursday, June 26, 2008

MOSQUITOES

MOSQUITO SEASON
This morning Cicero Sings blog spoke of the mosquito season about to arrive. Perhaps that song bird won't appreciate the accompaniment of their high pitched background music. Here's a way to avoid their drills - and no swatting needed - in fact they don't even want to come near you anymore. Read this testimonial of the way the mosquito problem can be solved.
"Many hikers were enjoying the wonderful Laurentian hills on a beautiful day. Suddenly an unbelievable number of mosquitoes and black flies moved in on us by the thousands. Everyone in the group except my friend and I were badly bitten. We had brought with us a small vial of this old heritage lotion. We received not one bite. You can make it yourself, here is the simple recipe.
Six ounces of peanut oil, two ounces of olive oil, two ounces of rosewater and one tablespoon of lanolin (dissolved).
Some health stores may carry this item. They buy it from a heritage store and it will be already made up for you. It is also a good emollient for the skin in general, especially if one is sensitive to sunburn.
I keep it on hand as a skin lotion - especially after the following experience.
I found a surging dashing brook that tumbled past a bower,
Of lovely trees with fernlike leaves that mirrored dancing flowers.
The ballet leaves of poplar trees bowed to ponderosa,
With stately cedars sweeping by bright eyes gloriosas.
A mount above them mothered all with clouds and friendly showers,
And under trees, wild strawberries hid beneath their towers.
An ancient log dipped in the brook and offered me a seat,
All insect-free it seemed to be, a cozy small retreat.
I opened up my current work but scarcely wrote a line,
My bower seat was waterlogged and left me wet behind.
Nearby, a large and lusty log had fallen high and dry,
I'd lay me down upon its length, with wet slacks turned up high.
But squatters rights I could not claim, a small ant told me so,
He and his fellow carpenters insisted that I go.
I kneeled beside a weathered stone, a friend I knew would be,
The sun shone bright, to my delight, I'd soon be dry and free.
But not so fast - that 'copter sound, mosquitoes, could it be?
A fast buzz told their friends to come, they threw their drills in me.
I seek my shelter armed with screens, this walk I can't prolong,
My memory holds that brookside scene, I hear its distant song.
Note: A friend tells me she received a catalog that carries this
mosquito repellant. It is called Aura Glo and the toll
free number is 1-866-322-8209 and ask about it.

1 comment:

Cicero Sings said...

I have all the ingredients to make such a lotion ... thanks for the tip.

Cute poem ... bugs, bugs, everywhere ... no where to escape! Every flower comes with its accompaniment of bugs.

P.S. Don't be afraid to double space between sections.