Tuesday, June 24, 2008

COLLEGE DAYS

COLLEGE DAYS

After working extra hours for funds
To meet tuition needs,
The bus has stopped, I'll walk two blocks -
Recalled Mother's saying, "Take heed."
Yes, Mother's tapes in silence play
Both now and future years,
From somewhere in my head it plays,
And somehow calms my fears.
"Hello there," a male voice,
His quick step soon joins mine,
"We worked together Christmas rush,
How goes your daily grind?
Left campus to make some extra funds,
You shouldn't be out late,
I'll walk you home for safety's sake,
Or do you have a date?"
The College credits hours of work,
For tuition needs - like you,
Thanks, and now we're at my place,
It's time to say 'adieu'.
I'm child-sitting for these folks
And they're expecting me.
"Hey don't I even get a kiss,
I've kept you safe," said he.
His arm moves to my shoulder,
The keys are in my hand,
"A pretty fancy place all right,
It really is quite grand.
So let's go for a little walk,
Cruise 'round these grounds so fancy."
I sieze upon imagined sound,
A trick, and pretty chancy.
Their home was pretty grand indeed,
The owners kind to me,
She had advertised for child-sit,
One six, the other three.
They owned a huge iron/metal works,
I asked if I could stay,
My student visa said, "Don't Work"
I'll borrow, find some way.
He was tall and strong, from Latin lands
Much sturdier than my size,
I edge once more toward the door,
To think of something wise.
My prairie-chicken heart now wished
In Canada I'd stayed,
Kept on working for the News,
For a moment I'm afraid.
I say she waits for me at ten,
She's at that window now,
He looks, the key slips in the lock,
It's "Good Night" with a bow.
Days later door bells rang for me,
Two men from F.B.I.
"Does she have a working visa,
Otherwise must say good-bye."
To Canada I fled with speed,
I've found new learning here,
With lovely family and friends,
And memories to revere.
Been nice to have had another year
For study in state-side,
Both places help to balance life,
Love both, I must confide.

No comments: