Thursday, February 3, 2011

THE VISIT BUT PHONE FIRST

One of the most interesting vegetables to learn more about is the cabbage because it is so versatile and if you have garden space available this is the time of the time of the year to plant the seeds in a protected area along with the tomatoes for a head-start in the warm growing season coming up.

I had rolled my walker out my door into the hallway on its way to the laundry room and saw someone there with a question. She was a new resident and had just moved into Carrington’s Senior Residence a few days before. She had forgotten her suite was on the second floor rather than the first where I reside. We chatted on our way down the hall. I usually get up at 5:00 A.M and arrive at the dining area at six where a Continental breakfast is available between 7:00 and 9:00 A.M. One lady and two men are often already there. Breakfast items are already lined up on the counter. One man who has a motorized wheel chair selects the breakfast items his wife likes and brings them to their upper floor suite. Arrangements have been made for those with special needs to have their breakfast earlier than 7:00 A.M. Half a dozen cold cereal containers line the counter, along with large bowls of yogurt, ready-sectioned pineapple and a large platter containing, orange slices, grapes, watermelon and other fruits. One of the chefs will bring the hot cereal a little later. Six pitchers containing other juices like orange and cranberry as well as hot water for other teas are situated near the coffee urn. Milk, raisins or brown sugar and jams and jellies for toast round out the counter.

Since I am both lactose (to cow’s milk) and gluten sensitive to wheat flour my former next door neighbor for a dozen years takes me shopping since I gave up my driver’s license when I turned 85. She helps others with any special needs and her fees are modest. I see my grocery bill yesterday was $149.61 – the largest item being the triple oils for $34.99 one of which is flax oil and take two tablespoons each day, always with meals. Kootenay gluten-free bread is $7.99 a loaf and I buy four each time to keep in the freezer that each suite provides. Sweets offered here at the afternoon tea often include background music, sometimes by volunteers. I haven’t eaten sweets for years but am delighted to notice when one of the two vegetables that come with dinner is a baked yam piece so I get both sweets and carbohydrates that way. The colorful pea and a green salad add extra vitamins. I hear the housekeeper at my door to vacuum once a week and help with other difficult jobs for seniors, so adios for now.

No comments: