Monday, February 14, 2011

BIRD WATCHING

It may be that I need more training in bird watching. I heard one of the residents at this “Carrington family” say he saw a sparrow feeding her young from the porch of her spring season home and that was the week of February 5th, 2011. It seems that the sparrow couple may be rushing the season a bit. The father sparrow must have been on guard duty or else searching for a favourite food for their newborns. Nearby tree branches have not begun leaving out. I am checking all the windows at the end of the halls to take a peek myself but have not found that particular sparrow family. Lloyda, (at our table and a resident here of nearly seven years here)says she knows of three birdhouses on our side of the property. We love having her around because she always has accurate answer for us. Today at fitness class one of our members said a massive flock of robins was spotted and must have returned early to last years nest or be looking for other housekeeping spots.

Noon dinners here offer a fresh green salad and a choice of which entrée you have chosen and given to the server the night before at supper from the two that were offered. Each choice has been written down to be sure the proper amount of food is on hand and ready for the chefs to prepare for the noon meal the next day. Today, after a green salad offer - the entrée each one chose the night before - consisting of baked salmon or grilled steak, with carrots, green peppers, and mashed potatoes. Dessert choices include various kinds of fruit, puddings, green or red jello and sometimes pies to celebrate a special holiday season. Yesterday it was blueberry pie that was very delicious but I noticed all the crusts at our table and many other tables were not eaten, perhaps fearing the bad cholesterol LDL in the pie crust but the good cholesterol HDL in the rest. Since the failure of wheat crops in many countries of the world is making wheat so high priced it might be a good idea to give the consumer a choice of pie with or without the crust and then figure out the percentages.
The sandwich spreads here are interesting and last night the crab salad sandwiches were super delicious. I can buy my own gluten-free bread downtown at several health stores. Next time I see one of the chefs I am going to let them know that I have not yet found their website: http://www.chefshirley.ca/ to determine how to fix some of their recipes myself so I can come early when I am invited to join my family on weekends and fix samples for them. For a modest fee our families can join us here for meals if we make reservations a day or two earlier.

1 comment:

Cicero Sings said...

I notice that SaveOn has gluten free bread on sale this week ... you may want to check that out!