Monday, February 7, 2011

ADDITION TO FAMILY

The temperatures are hovering just around freezing this February day, as snow changes to rain and then back again so it is best for us to do our walking inside and there are many corridors here to explore and exercise equipment to use. We are able to access filtered water here at this Carrington Senior residence so I keep a quart jar handy in my walker’s basket for when I pass the kitchen area. Some prescriptions request that medications should be swallowed using filtered water. I do not have to take a prescription but do take extra calcium and sunshine vitamin D needed during the winter months. The daily vitamin some of us take likely prefers filtered water also. Last Tuesday evening I had forgotten to check the activity calendar here and heard peppy music in the direction of the dining area that sometimes doubles for evening entertainment use. Pattern dancing from Halina Senior Center was in full swing and it was clear that these couples had performed together for many years and their energy and graceful moves depicted health and youth even though their silver hair betrayed them. The Blue Danube Waltz and others made the seated viewers tap their feet with delight.

A pleasant lady was seated just across the hall by herself and gave me an inviting nod as she made room for me to sit near. "The music is a bit too loud for me,” she said “so I cross the hall to this adjunct room to watch the dancers perform and enjoy the orchestra's great music. It reminds me of days gone by and my three wonderful children, each of whom visit me every week here and sometimes take me for an outing. My husband died of cancer because of smoking. In those days the tobacco company told us it was safe. I have been here at Carrington for three years and just love it. I would never want to marry again because my children might not visit me as much,” she added.

When the Halina band paused at intervals, the dancers took a rest also and my new friend continued to share the highlights of her life. It sounded so interesting I felt like taking notes and writing a biography of her life’s journey. I did that for my next door neighbour when I lived in my condo. She had been legally blind for a number of years, and as we walked each day the story of their Manitoba homestead unfolded - something her children had been hoping to do some day. Again I felt like this new friend was almost an addition to my own family who come back to Canada for summer visits with their son and his lovely wife and their four grandchildren who of course are also my great-grandchildren. Just over 140 people live here, some for “short stays” like one yesterday from Armsrong who had broken her femur just above the knee as she stepped from her car to a glazed ice patch. Blessings and healing to you Mary.

No comments: