Tuesday, January 26, 2010

SAFETY FIRST

After my posting dated January 24, 2010, entitled “Take Taxi Telephone Numbers Along,” I thank you for your response. E-mails and telephone calls were full of good advice. When I got home I recorded all the taxi telephone numbers listed in our phone book and attached them to any carriers and my wallet. I will not see my 86th birthday again. After my husband passed on I sold our car and decided it would be healthier if I walked. A friend whom I called “my borrowed daughter” advised me to wait for awhile since we often went shopping together. We even look alike, fair skin and blonde. Standing in a check-out line at a large retail store one man said, “You can tell you two are mother and daughter. She is the same age as my son and his wife who live in U.S.

My older sister in Kamloops had been injured from a fall and I hoped to spend time with her so my “borrowed daughter” said they would drive me there since they enjoyed meeting a relative there and having lunch together. I try to “put a tiger in their tank” but they always refuse money and claim they enjoy having the visit with friends at Kamloops. Two years ago a better job was offered to them in Alberta and they have moved there. My doctor tells me that since I haven’t owned a car for half a dozen years it would be best to save the hundred dollars required for the medical report and for me to keep walking or use other means of transportation.

In his meeting with our group last Wednesday on Residential Security, Ed Howard added, “We will visit your home and other residential units to offer suggestions for improvement in safety measures.” Phone: 250-260-5276 or Email: ehoward@vernon.ca.

No comments: