Sunday, January 10, 2010

BLOOD SUGAR BALANCED WITH JERUSALEM ARTICHOKES

Networking among friends can be helpful in finding needed information. A reader from Silver Spring, MD shared her experience in a letter to the editor of “Venture Inward” magazine.

“My doctor had suggested I have a cardiac work-up. Like many middle aged, overweight Americans, he said I was hypoglycemic, which meant that I was a candidate for diabetes. My vascular system proved to be in good shape. But I was often at the mercy of blood sugar swings where if I didn’t eat soon I felt like I would faint. I read in the Cayce material that Jerusalem artichokes (sometimes called sunchokes) could be helpful by eating regular snacks of raw or cooked sunchokes. I thought they might help my body chemistry in some subtle way but I never expected to feel so much better. After about six months, I realized that I was feeling hungry, but it was a “normal” hungry feeling, not a frightening sense that I might faint. This return to normal hunger also meant that I could eat less often and be able to normalize my weight.”

These rather bland potato-like tubers are sometimes hard to find in the regular grocery vegetable department but health stores are usually willing to order them in. A friend of mine grew them in her back yard but they have moved away. They could be grown as potted plants as well and resemble a small version of a regular sunflower plant. The health store “Natures Fare” said they prefer to order them in the spring. Any time a person can find this kind of help from a simple plant that can be home-grown sounds good to me when your health in general can make you feel “so much better,” as the writer above described it.

No comments: