Tuesday, May 26, 2009

ALZHEIMERS AND FAMILY ADJUSTMENTS

"The first signs of her illness occurred during a lecture in Madras, India," says Dr. Elmer Green of his wife, Alyce. "Because of her superb training in acting and as a public speaker as well, she could read her copy beautifully, but couldn't make sense of a single question from the audience, though she looked unruffled and serene to others. She had no idea where we were." He and Alyce, also a scientist worked together for 30 years at the Menninger Foundation doing pioneering research in biofeedback. They authored a book together called "Beyond Biofeedback."

Alyce then insisted they take a sailing trip out of Miami. Upon their return she said to her husband, "Just who are you anyway?" When I said, 'I'm Elmer,' she looked skeptical, shrugged, and said, 'That's what they all say.' Dr. Green began to realize that each time she saw him, it was a new event. "After that occurrence, there was no time longer than a few minutes in which she recognized me for certain, as Elmer." He asked her to trust him, took her hand and they went home. "And never in the future when we walked together did I let go of her hand unless necessary, for fear she would see me as an outsider."

During the next seven years, he devoted full attention to her needs after that and communicated with her constantly, trying to help her realize what was happening to her. While she often talked in disconnected phrases, occasionally she lapsed into beautifully modulated, eloquent monologues. Dr. Green believes that "an Alzper(son), or stroke victim, or anyone in a coma" offers friends and relatives a unique chance to help by talking, reading to them, and encouraging them to "listen in deep quietness, for the Voice of the Silence."

After seven years she passed on but came to him in his dreams to offer guidance, including a nudge that led to his finding his Minnesota high school sweetheart who, fortuitously, had been widowed. He thought she had passed away after reading an item about a person with a similar name. In a lucid dream Alyce came to him "It's time for you to make up with Gladys Strom." Dr. Green was astonished. "Alyce stood back and motioned me to go forward, and sure enough Gladys was standing there. It was a strange sensation since I had not seen her since 1940, and I wake up." Later Alyce showed up again in my dreams and said, "Now you must go to Los Angeles and contact her." I said, "I can't do that because I wouldn't think it meant anything. I would believe that the masculine side of my nature and being lonesome had invented the conversation." The dream came three nights in a row and gave me the same argument, saying "You have work to do and need a companion." Finally I said "If there will be a synchronicity, I will do it." I told our daughters that no one in southern California had invited me to lecture there in ten years. I went with one of my daughters and her husband to Cozumel to go scuba-diving. When I got home and two days later received a call from a medical doctor in San Diego to be a member of the Advisory Board of Dove Health Alliance. The lecture was not ten minutes from Glady's house. When I told my daughters, they said I'd promised Alyce to contact Gladys if a synchronicity was produced. She was unsure at first about what she wanted to do but eventually agreed to be my partner. Dr. Green has written a three volume work of 873 pages that tells about his life and work. More on this later.

No comments: