Sunday, April 19, 2009

MAGNIFY THE VIRTUES, MINIMIZE FAULTS

Gladys Taylor McGarey, is a homeopathic physician, coauthor of "The Physician Within You," and lead physician at the Scottsdale Holistic Medical Group in Scottsdale, Arizona. I look forward to reading her bi-monthly column in "Venture Inward," magazine published in Virginia Beach, Virginia.

" A 76-year-old patient came to my office for a physical exam. Her cholesterol was slightly elevated and she felt that on her own she would take care of this problem." She said there were two things which she dearly loved, peanut butter and bacon and if she stopped eating those two things she could bring her cholesterol down. She was going to create a ritual which allowed her with love and caring to let go of something for which she no longer had any use.

She, her husband and daughter went to a fancy restaurant, took a candle along and while her husband and daughter ordered their meal she ordered four strips of crisp bacon, While her family ate their meal, she spoke to the bacon and said something like, "Bacon, I've always loved you; you've been good to me, we've had a long relationship and good memories but now is the time for us to part. I am now going to leave you with love and happy memories. I will eat two pieces and leave two pieces on my plate, so I know you are always here for me if I need you." After a little more talk, she blew out the candle, paid the bill and left.

When I next saw her, she told me she had never wanted bacon since that time. "What did you do about the peanut butter"? I asked. She said she had purchased some and said to it; "You've been so good to me with many happy memories and now it's time for us to part." Then she took the jar of peanut butter to the little girl across the street and gave it to her. The next time she came to my office I asked her about the bacon and peanut butter and she said,'Oh, yeah, I haven't eaten any.' The great thing about this was that this wise lady, instead of saying, 'Oh my, I have to stop eating this and don't know how because it is so much a part of my life' - in which case, this big negative thought form could exacerbate the problem. Later she was able to help her husband, who had been a high-ranking government official until was placed over him. She sang a marching song that created much laughter they were able to laugh about it together.

"Old habits and attachments can be difficult and challenging to let go, physical, mental and spiritual. 'Just say no' may not work, attachments may be too deep and long standing. By creating a personal ritual, to let go of that which needs to be released we can look forward to the path of grace and allow the addiction to move from our life with God's help and create a new pattern leading to a fuller life. This can be done with little pain and perhaps even some fun." Dr. McGarey concluded. Perhaps the Biblical ritual of baptism as well as sharing of bread and wine as a rembrance of the Last Supper is similarly beneficial.

No comments: