Sunday, April 26, 2009

INCOME TAX DEADLINE

We're coming to that exciting time of the year to file our income tax. If mature age is allowed to give advice, here are a couple of hints. When I was born in the 1920s income tax had not yet been invented. But our efficient government representatives came to the rescue. A plan must be found to pay for World War 1, and there seemed to be no other way to "pay the piper" than inventing a new tax. After all our mother country was not the only one in trouble. No one has yet been able to explain just why that war was needed, perhaps someone can enlighten me. By the time I was ready to complete my chosen History-Journalism studies, another war was looming and my tuition funds had run out.

Now, back to my tax file. One T5 slip had two boxes, one indicating Canadian funds and on the same slip another box showed the interest in foreign currency - had the U.S. funds been factored into Canadian currency, I wondered. Time to call the income tax office, and by entering the star key after dialing, the first voice tells me, I may have less wait time. During the wait my cordless telephone gives a blast it's time to get a new battery for it. It's back to my land line and a pleasant mature tax lady who notices my age says "You're very brave."

Now on to the provincial tax form. A few years ago it was so simple when the provincial taxes requested a percentage of whatever the federal tax form showed. Dancing between work sheets that tried to stress me out, I called a friend who said she had put all her tax stuff in a plastic bag and taken it to the tax people who do it every day and are ready for any new challenges. "Put your stuff in a bag and meet me in the parking area in l5 minutes," Miss Mc commanded in that voice of assurance that a retired teacher has used so well to clear any problems during her years of teaching school. (By the way, remember the old days when teachers were treated with such awe and respect - after all they are the ones who turn us all into successful tax payers.) We still admire teachers now but in a more casual way. With tax information in hand, we head downtown and see the sign H&R Block. One of their representatives, a retired government office worker, looks through my file and within 20 minutes he's finished, and I pay $72.00 and leave with a relieved heart. I force Miss Mc to drive us to her favourite restaurant and insist on treating her to dinner - she wants to pay the tip so I agree or she might make me stay after school and write several pages that say "I will not talk in school." (I often spoke aloud in grade school and out of turn before anyone else raised a hand, my brother tells me, likely trying to impress everyone.) Oh yes, my final word of advice: After 65 years of filing tax forms, let the experts do it for you, instead of insisting on doing it yourself for another 20 years. Use this gift of time after retirement to do the creative things you longed to find time for during your 9 to 5 working years. Five more days and I'll go to the bank and pay the several thousand dollars I still owe to this wonderful country we are privileged to live in and enjoy.

No comments: