Sunday, December 28, 2008

COMMUNING WITH A FRIEND

Sometimes all one needs to help another is a listening ear or an understanding heart even if it be in silence, a word, sentence or poem. We're so busy these days with distractions like i-pods or television entertainment that it is hard to find time to help unburden a needy soul who just needs someone to talk to. If you have an experience to share, a thought, or a question, enter a comment. We do not need real names or dates since names will be substituted.

This is my story and poem to a friend who needed an understanding heart.

Who thought before a new day dawned, My friendly shadow would be gone.
A decade she had been with me, A joy to all the family.
A spotted nose checked each new tot, From bassinet, to crib, to cot,
A prop when each one tried to stand, Small hands tugged before they'd land.

When tired from teaching school all day, A wagging tail said, "All's okay."
On weekend hikes through trails and bog, A treasure true, our faithful dog.
Her nose checked at my bed each night, Meant we were safe 'til morning light.
Next day, if I forgot my key, Her nose the doorlatch opened free.

Unsteady steps in her last years, Betrayed the aching joint we feared,
But still she felt she must keep on, "Who'd care for them if I were gone."
The night before she passed a way, She raised her paw as if to say,
"Good bye please let my spirit free," Her spotted nose pressed close to me.

Her eyes beseeched, we understood, Those treasured memories, all so good,
A faithful servant through each day, I gave her leave to slip away.
Why were our hearts so touched with pain? Perhaps because no selfish gain,
Mars this comradship that binds, A fellowship so pure and kind.

No comments: