Monday, July 13, 2009

THE HELPFUL IMMIGRANT WHO COULD SAVE YOUR LIFE

Among the huddled masses, That from Europe came,
A tiny helpful visitor, Staked its claim to fame,
Somewhere in storage passage with, No ticket by its side,
It threw a shoot and anchored root, In new lands, far and wide.

Content to live in wastelands, Its golden flower thrived,
In backyard tenement clutter 'twas, Just thrilled to be alive.
On barren soil or homestead, This hardy alien grew,
Its seedballs - games for children, To scatter joy anew.

Unlike the dashing rosebud, Whose thorns a child may fear,
The friendly dandelion waves, A stately stem with cheer.
Strong winds and rain may damage, Other dainty flowers,
This sturdy willing immigrant, Stands tall through every shower.

"Just weave me into garlands, I am a friendly flower,
To bed I go at sunset, And rise a decent hour.
If you're hungry, you can eat me, As food I am complete,
I travel through America, A friends to all I meet.

If on your lawn I've landed, Forgive me, if you please,
My golden crown turns snowy white, And soars with every breeze,
To carry on as nature planned, Though once despised by man,
For we can bring life-saving cures, Of ills throughout the land.
Like you, I love America, My new home stem to tip,
Sharing nourishment and beauty, I'm grateful for my trip.

No comments: