Sunday, November 23, 2014

THE UNWELCOME IMMIGRANT


Among the huddled masses that from Europe came,
A tiny golden visitor staked its claim to fame,
Somewhere in steerage passage with no ticket by my side,
I threw a shoot and anchored roots, in new lands far and wide.
Content to live in wastelands, my golden flower thrived,
In backyard tenement clutter, 'twas just thrilled to be alive.

On barren ground or homestead, this hardy alien grew,
Its puffballs - games for children, to scatter joy anew.
Unlike the dashing rosebud, whose thorns a child may fear,
The friendly dandelion waves, a stately stem with cheer.
Strong winds and rain may damage other dainty flowers,
But this sturdy willing immigrant stands tall through every shower.
Just weave me into garlands, I am a friendly flower,
To bed I go at sunset and rise a decent hour.
Like you, I love America, my new home top to tip,

Sharing nourishment and beauty, I am grateful for my trip.

No comments: