Sunday, November 9, 2014

LOOKING FOR A WINTER'S RESIDENCE


Our valley's known for kindly hearts, new winter's quarters - time to start,
We all look through the late fall days - all seeking for a place to stay.
A tiny spot that they will share - within their home, just anywhere.
We need only bits of food - though our bathroom habits can be rude.
Housekeeping work we leave for you, while making nests for homes anew.
I'll take a bit from her silk dress to make a lining for my nest.
Grandmothers have told us which is best.

And what a find - her lovely hair, those curly ends, I'm sure she'll share,
On padded feet her quilt I've crossed, soft and cozy just like moss.
But owner of this lovely home, unwilling was her home to share.
Leaping up in frantic fright, (I do such work in dead of night.)
She screeched - a frantic time ensued  - the sounds I heard were really rude.
I raced along her soft white arm - then under sheets to keep from harm.

Now I'll take a look around, near some books, a space I've found,
I'm seeking fabric for my nest, I trust she feel I'm not a pest.
Her soft and lovely dainty curls had looked and felt like real pearls.
With closets full of clothes to share, I'll take small bits, she won't care.
I feel she's had a change of mind, I smell cheese, how sweet and kind.
Upon a tiny wooden tray, served on the floor, I'm glad to stay,
Outside the snow hides grains of wheat, but peanut butter, what a treat.
What's that I hear - sounds like a snap, Grandmother had warned me,
 "Now watch for traps."  

No comments: