Tuesday, September 4, 2012

WALK OFF BELLY FAT




     You might find Travis Stork, MD, an ER physician in the emergency room saving a life, or in a television studio as star of The Doctors.  He is trying to get us all on the right path to improved health and keep us there.  He explains how to attain lasting health for a long and happier life.  He is on the run to help each us get to work weekdays and on weekends sometimes goes to the mountains with his mountain bike to enjoy a trim up. 

     “It’s the simple things that make me the happiest,” Dr. Stork says.  “To me the perfect day is having time to spend with my wife, Charlotte, doing things we enjoy and adding that heath benefit.  We have a healthy, great dinner, grab our dog Nala (a 12 year old husky cross) and go for a walk.  It’s a good way to decompress.  Here’s how Dr. Stork does it – and how we all can do it too. 

     “You can’t predict what you’re eating at a restaurant, but when you make it yourself, you can and it tastes better.  While growing up, I ate meat and potatoes, with vegetables on one side of the plate.  Now I eat locally grown foods and we have a dark chocolate treat once in awhile.”

     “It’s good to find your stress-relief valve and for me it’s a bike ride, not down a busy street but at a park that is closed off to cars and where I can be alone with my thoughts, even if my day has been a tiring one.”  He says he feels that patients as well as others at the studio can tell if you are too busy.  The Doctors program airs around the world.  If we say ‘Quit smoking’ and if even 1% of people watching quit, that’s thousands of people. I can be an influence in the emergency department as well.  People sometimes stop me on the street to tell me one of their children has diabetes because I have explained it on the show.  It is thrilling for me that they genuinely want to engage in conversation about health.”     

    “I have done some motivational health talks called ‘Your Best Life’ and plan to do more.  There are times when I wish it could be a little simpler but it is better to face the facts and use the talents we all have to help others,” Dr. Stork concludes.  Someone just called me and said “The Doctors” can be seen each afternoon in Vernon on Global TV around 2:00 or 3:00 PM.   

   

No comments: