Monday, June 27, 2011

THE DANCE

I have invited my grandson and his friends to a dance and although he is suspicious he doesn’t elaborate as he invites friends to come to grandma’s house and learn a new dance that is called the “high stepping dance.” The invitees know that as long as Luke is there it will be a fun party and he makes sure there are several muscle men with healthy backs to first demonstrate the intricate dance steps. He tells the men they can come to the party straight from work since no costumes are required, but there may be surprises.

Evelyn, a good friend (a realtor with Century 21, with whom I have my condo listed) gets her husband to check each paint job done for her clients. My condo looks so nice with the new paint everywhere I want to move back in but my doctor recommends I take a break, reduce my volunteer work and learn about proper retirement for when I reach 90 in a couple of years. Dressed in jeans with her cell phone in her pocket Evelyn is ready for both work and play.

The high stepping movements continue on after supper and through the evening. The hostess announces closing time around ten PM and brings out the surprise that tells us it is time for the draw and we find out everyone has won a prize - a couple of pictures on bills of a member of the Royal family. “Pie in the sky – in the sweet bye and bye” is nice but with soaring food prices and so many other needs raising a growing family it is also nice to get a little pie on Earth also. My realtor friend had slipped away a little ahead of time to take care of business. There are many ways to reward the work of willing hands. After all we are all responsible for supplying the pensions of our government officials to keep Canada strong and debt free. I am still stepping around boxes and determining where their contents should best be placed while practicing the new dance. Thanks to everyone who came.

No comments: