Monday, October 4, 2010

LOOKING FOR A WINTER RESIDENCE

Our valley’s known for kindly hearts, for winter’s quarters – time to start,
We mice search through the late fall days – Looking for a place to stay,
A tiny spot that folks will share – within their home, just anywhere.
We're glad to eat leftover food, Our bathroom habits they feel crude.
Housekeeping work we leave for you, while we make nests for homes anew.
To make a lining for my nest, I’ll take some cloth from this silk dress.

And what a find, some lovely hair, cute ends of curls I'm sure she’ll share,
On padded feet her quilt I cross, It's soft and cozy just like moss.
But owner of this lovely home unwilling was her hair to loan.
Leaping up in frantic fright (I do such work in dead of night.)
She screeched, a terrible time ensued - the sounds I heard were really rude.
I raced along her soft white arm – then under sheets to keep from harm.

I'll take another look around, Near some books a space I’ve found,
I need more fabric for my nest, I trust she feels I’m not a pest.
Her lovely soft and dainty curls had looked and felt like real pearls.
With closets full of clothes to share, I’ll take small bites, she should not care.
But now I think she's changed her mind, She put out cheese, how sweet and kind.
Hey great! she’s added peanut butter, I can eat inside, no outside clutter.
Upon a tiny wooden tray, served on the floor, I'll eat it any way.
Outside the snow hides grains of wheat, This peanut butter, what a treat!
What’s that I hear, sounds like a snap, Grandma warned to watch for traps.

No comments: