Tuesday, June 1, 2010

WHAT SHOULD A MOTHER DO?

A more appropriate question might be, “What should a son do about his mother who will be 87 next month and she can be recalcitrant at times?”
My son hadn’t been up to Canada for a year and noticed this time that my gait was a little unsteady at times but I think I’m doing fine living alone in my condo. He pictures me having a fall and creating a problem when least able to face it. Knees can create problems for some seniors but mine are fine and everything else seems to be okay including both knees and hips which can be problematic even for the young sometimes. When I was walking downtown a lady I knew years ago called out my name. She identified herself and said she didn’t blame me for not recognizing her because she was having health problems and was now quite lame. She added that she had wrecked her knees because of her barrel racing hobby years ago.

Each day my son and his wife drive to town. His wife renews social contacts with friends and helps their son and his wife when needed. A new granddaughter arrived for them on Victoria Day weekend and of course that gives me another great-grandchild to enjoy as well. My grandson and his wife are wonderful parents and the baby’s Mom has chosen to stay home and care for them. The parents bring the four of them to visit me at least once a month and I write a story called the “Grandkid’s Gazette” that follows their progress until they can keep their own journals.

My son took me to all the nearby retirement homes in the area and we both agreed on one that would be suitable for my future needs. But I said “Not yet.” He e-mails my best friend in Alberta who is the same age as him and the next day brings a print-out of it for me to read that says “To help my Mother be more comfortable with this change I am hoping you may be able to help me with that. Do you have any ideas? Our son Luke, who lives here says he will help her with the move. Finances will not be a concern as I will assist with payments if she has any difficulties with that.” My best friend e-mails back that she and her husband will be coming here in a few weeks and will be helpful. My son reminds me that I have helped some of our nieces and nephews with tuition for university when needed and now it is my turn to receive his help when needed. I gave up my driver’s license a few years ago and with my little cart am able to carry my groceries up this steep hill. I will listen to any advice anyone cares to offer.

No comments: