Thursday, December 27, 2012

CELEBRATING CHRISTMAS IN 2012




    Our main Celebration of Christmas came early this year on the 22nd of December so Grandmother Stewart could catch a flight to meet with her brother in Florida.  My grandson’s wife, Stephanie, and her mother worked together preparing a sumptuous feast.  Grandma Stewart placed the roast beef entrée in her oven to have it ready.  The numerous delicious salads Stephanie had brought included Yorkshire pudding and other amenities.  Grandma packed up the leftovers that included some of the cherry and pumpkin pies and sent them home with Luke and family for the next day.  Uncle Keith had made his special chocolate coated mini bars and that too was very popular with all, especially among my four great grandchildren. 
 Soon gifts were being unwrapped by eight busy little hands as four dollies emerged from their long sleep into the light of the afternoon sun.  Their pale brown faces seemed to almost smile suggesting they too enjoyed the excitement of the freedom into the big wide world as they became models.  Blue jean styles were folded for possible use next day that might take them out for a hike into their on-again off-again clearing the walk as small patches of tree-clad branches released their overnight collections of snow.  Taking me home in the evening, Luke took the opportunity to ask about all my brothers and sisters who were part of my childhood.  He said their children had recently been asking many questions about them.  “Starting with my Great-uncle Paul, tell me everything,” he said.  “That’s a big order during just a 20 minute ride but I’ll try.  Your uncle Paul was born on November 19, 1916, eleven months after the Christmas week marriage of my parents.  It was a two day sleigh ride for the 65 mile trip to Medicine Hat to buy a marriage license.  That meant an overnight stay half way there, and two bedrooms to rent since they were still not married.  Paul became a wonderful example to the rest of their children.  He was a very kind person and sheltered my sister Helen and me from the bitterly cold north winds during the mile walk to our country school near Orion, Alberta.  Forty below zero was common during December and January.  Other parents loaded their children in wagons after changing the wheels to sleigh runners.   Paul also protected us from Seafoam, the neighbours bull who kept a distant watch over his harem of cows.  Paul would direct us to get under a small bridge midway to school and Seafoam couldn’t reach us.  Paul’s slender six foot four frame could wriggle behind us and give us a push..   My parent’s next child was Uncle Fred.”  “But wait, my grandson interrupted, I want to know still more about your brother Paul.”  That will have to be for another day I tell him.  We have arrived back to my home in Orchard Valley, Centre.   

No comments: