Wednesday, December 1, 2010

THANKS TO DOCTORS, CHEFS AND MANY OTHERS

Taking my doctor’s advice I have moved to Carrington, a residence that provides meals and does some light housekeeping for me together with advising that I do more walking and more gentle exercising. I am recovering from Pneumonia over a six-week week period of time where all food become unappetizing, creating weight loss and weakness. Then Shingles moved in for the next six weeks creating itchy pustules that beg to be scratched. A friend from Alberta had come for two weeks to assist me. My doctor tells me that stress can bring on these health problems and life changes have to be made to reduce stress.

The meals provided here are tasty and nourishing and the kindnesses and understanding of all the staff each day is greatly appreciated. It often comes up with the foursome folks seated at each table how considerate and cheerful the health providers are, including the efficient and gracious servers.

I am always so grateful for the food substitutes the chefs provide for me and the plain vegetables that help resist food items that can be too rich for me. For example after one evening meal I was helping a fellow diner with her TV remote and we visited together. She commented on how good the food is here and said “Now weren’t those chicken wings tasty tonight – they were just so good!” I agreed with her but have to use caution myself regarding foods that may be too rich for me that make them delicious but hard for my digestion to handle. Our table talk often includes guessing the seasoning the chefs may have used that make foods so delicious.

When I see those wonderful “trees” of broccoli, shredded spinach or other healthy and nourishing vegetables left on the plate of a fellow diner I want to borrow the words that many mothers used especially during the 30s depression, “Now eat all your vegetables or there is no dessert for you”. But I refrain from voicing it because each person has to determine the best for themselves from one of the entrees they have chosen.

I feel such gratitude for the patience and the wonderful help from the staff here. When my doctor had weighed me in at 98 pounds she said “I love your poetry, take time now to use your writing skills to help others learn not to be too trusting and they may be able to avoid the health problems that brought you here.” My appetite is being restored as I recover. Between meals I supplement snacks that include the ancient grains like Amaranth, Millet and Quinoa – all non acid foods. This with gentle exercising has helped me take a turn for restored health.

No comments: